Thanks to everyone, I recently passed 500 blog subscribers and 800 followers on Twitter. Maybe I could say “thank you” 1,300 times in response… Though that would be a bit much, right? 😉
So, I’ll say a great, big THANK YOU once again with a gesture. Last year’s belated blogoversary giveaways went really well, and I’m always happy to offer something that readers can benefit from. This time, I have two international giveaways. In other words, everyone will be eligible to participate – and you can choose to enter one giveaway, or both!
All rules and other details can be found after the jump. First, here are the prizes:
Giveaway #1: Free Critique of Your WIP’s First Chapter
For Giveaway #1, I’m offering to one (1) writer a critique of their WIP’s first chapter. Whether you’re unsure if your first draft is going in the right direction, or you’re almost ready to have beta-readers review your manuscript, this is an opportunity to have another writer read the beginning of your WIP and help make it shine.
As I read your first chapter, I’ll pay attention to your protagonist’s introduction, narrative voice, and possible conflict, among other things. I’ll also offer constructive feedback on what works and what could use improvement. If you have anything specific you’d like to me look at, I’d be happy to do that as well.
If you win, please be ready to send your WIP’s first chapter within one (1) week of accepting. We can discuss other details (e.g., timeline for my response, how and where to send the first chapter) at that time.
As for genres, here’s what I read most often and would therefore be most interested in critiquing:
- Fantasy (Young Adult, New Adult, and Adult)
- Historical Fiction (see above)
- Science Fiction (see above)
- Dystopian (see above)
- Other genres on a case-by-case basis
To Enter Giveaway #1: Access the Rafflecopter widget as instructed at the bottom of this post, then leave a comment here saying that you’d like to enter Giveaway #1. Make sure you include the WIP’s current title (if you have one), genre, and a 1- or 2-sentence “pitch,” just so I can get an idea of what your story is about.
Giveaway #2: Your Choice of Book (Up to $15) from My Reads of the Month, Courtesy of The Book Depository
For Giveaway #2, I’m offering to one (1) reader their choice of a book I picked as a Read of the Month since last July. This giveaway is open internationally, as long as The Book Depository ships to your country. (Click here for their current availability.) You may want to have at least one back-up choice, in case your first choice isn’t available or exceeds the $15 limit.
Here are the Reads of the Month you can choose from:
- July 2015: Ironskin (Ironskin Trilogy, Book #1) by Tina Connolly
- August 2015: Six of Crows (Six of Crows, Book #1) by Leigh Bardugo
- September 2015: The Fifth Season (Broken Earth Trilogy, Book #1) by N.K. Jemisin
- October 2015: This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee
- November 2015: The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Book #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
- December 2015: Radiant (Towers Trilogy, Book #1) by Karina Sumner-Smith**
- January 2016: The Martian by Andy Weir
- February 2016: The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, Book #1) by Emily Skrutskie
- March 2016: Walk On Earth A Stranger (Gold Seer Trilogy, Book #1) by Rae Carson
**I actually picked Towers Fall, Book #3 of the Towers Trilogy, as the December 2015 Read of the Month, but it makes more sense to give away the first book in a series, right? 😉
If you need more choices, I’d be happy to recommend any of these:
- A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin
- Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, Book #1) by Tamora Pierce
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Blackbringer (Faeries of Dreamdark, Book #1) by Laini Taylor
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Book #1) by Laini Taylor
- The Fellowship of the Ring (Lord of the Rings, Book #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance Trilogy, Book #1) by N.K. Jemisin
- Poison Study (Study Series, Book #1) by Maria V. Snyder
- Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, Book #1) by Leigh Bardugo
To Enter Giveaway #2: Access the Rafflecopter widget as instructed below, then leave a comment here saying that you’d like to enter Giveaway #2. Make sure you include your top three (3) book choices from the lists provided.
Rules for the Giveaways
- Click on the link at the end of this post to access the Rafflecopter widget. Then, follow Rafflecopter’s instructions to earn points for different options (comments, social media, etc.).
- All giveaways will be open through midnight EST on Tuesday, May 3rd. No entries will be accepted beyond this deadline.
- Two (2) winners will be selected, one for each prize.
- If you’re selected as a winner, you’ll have 48 hours to respond to my email and claim your prize. If I don’t hear from you by then, I will contact a new winner. (Please note that I value your privacy and will not share your information with anyone else.)
- Once both winners have claimed their prizes, I will announce their names via blog post.
- While I don’t mind you sharing the giveaway link, it’s not mandatory for your entries. I’d like to see as many readers and friends who have already follow me benefit, since these are “thank-you” gifts for current readers and followers.
Thank you once again, and good luck to everyone who participates! Let me know if you have any questions.