Stacking The Shelves is a weekly event hosted by Tynga’s Reviews that shares the books (both physical and virtual) that you recently purchased, borrowed from a fellow reader or the library, won from a giveaway, or received as gifts. Stacking The Shelves will post on Saturdays as new books are added to my shelves.
This is getting a little embarrassing. I’ve seen other bloggers post their Stacking The Shelves hauls more frequently than I post mine, but since I don’t seem to read as quickly as other people do, I feel like I shouldn’t buy more books for a while. But I went ahead and bought two more. *blushes*
Anyways, these novels might look familiar, since they were both featured in past Waiting on Wednesday posts. I’ve also decided to share my “reading plan” for the rest of 2015, so you can get an idea of what to expect review-wise in the coming months. But first, the new books!
New March Releases
Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran (Historical Fiction): I finished Rebel Queen on Monday, so expect a review for it soon. If I had to summarize, though, the book started off beautifully – and then the last 100 pages were a huge disappointment. 😦
Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman (YA Fantasy): Yay for Seraphina’s next adventure! I’ve been looking forward to this one since reading Seraphina last November. I’m about a quarter of the way through Shadow Scale now, and so far it’s really good. But holy dragons, it’s a BEAST of a YA fantasy – almost 600 pages!
Reading Plan for the Rest of 2015
This isn’t so much a plan as it is a list of reading priorities. However, I’m hoping that by making this list, I’ll comb through my bookshelves in a manageable, logical way and maybe feel less overwhelmed by what I still have and want to read:
- Allegiant (Divergent Trilogy, Book #3) by Veronica Roth: I waited to read Insurgent (Book #2) until I watched the movie “Divergent” last year. It was a good idea; the film refreshed my memory about the plot and characters, so I comfortably slid back into Tris and Tobias’ world when I picked up Insurgent. Now I’m going to do the same with “Insurgent” the film and Allegiant the book. And yes, I already know what happens at the end of Allegiant, but I have to give this series finale a shot.
- A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Fire and Ice, Book #5) by George R.R. Martin: Another good reading decision I made last year was to follow A Feast For Crows (Book #4) in tandem with Season 5 of the “Game Of Thrones” TV show. Since I was able to renegotiate HBO into my cable TV package at a decent price, I can watch Season 6 of the show while reading A Dance With Dragons. That should be a “Yay!”, right? Well, for some reason, I’m kind of dreading ADwD… probably because long books take me FOREVER to read.
- Books coming out in 2015: I want to stay on top of new releases this year. So, each time a book I’ve been waiting for comes out, I’m going to try to read it as soon as I can.
- Fairy novels: Remember when I asked for recommendations for fairy novels as part of a “market research” project for my novel The Keeper’s Curse? Well, if I’m hoping to bring the book to Query-Land next year, I should probably catch up on my “market research” sooner rather than later. I’m going to alternate between fairy novels and the 2015 releases, so reviews for those should start popping up by late spring / early summer. Which means I’ll have to buy more, since The Iron King was the only fairy novel I owned before I created this reading plan… Oops.
- “Leftovers”: Once I take care of #1 through #4, I’ll start catching up with previously published fantasies and other books I haven’t read yet.
What books did you recently buy or acquire? Have you read Shadow Scale or Rebel Queen yet? Also, what do you think of my reading plan for 2015? Feel free to share your opinions and most recent hauls by commenting below.